On Friday days 3 and 25 June 2022 there will be a beautiful appointment with the event "Opera (a) mare" with the participation of Choir of the San Carlo Theater in Naples who will perform from the balconies and terraces of Marina Chiaiolella (June 3) and of the splendid Marina Corricella (on June 25).
The island will be transformed into an open-air theater and the public will be able to witness the wonderful experience from the boats of the marina or from the most beautiful places in the seaside villages.
This special project was born from the collaboration with San Carlo Theater Foundation of Naples with the aim of giving everyone the opportunity to attend an opera show and to bring the public closer to this music. The choir will be conducted by maestro José Luis Basso with Vincenzo Caruso at the piano.
This post in brief
The program with the repertoire of the concert
During the event Opera (at) sea, guests will be transported in an exciting journey between Neapolitan music and traditional songs of the Neapolitan and Procidan people, as "The Procidana " a musical drama that was first performed in 1809.
The story tells of a woman, angelica, a damsel from Procida who is destined in marriage to Don Caspero Annettapuorto, ship pilot and language interpreter. The young woman, however, is loved by her tutor, Dr. Amfibio Scorticoni, a foolish doctor who is betrothed to his housekeeper Silvietta. Don Caspero also has a secret lover, Isabella, who is however betrothed to Captain Gerundio.
Here is the complete program of all the works:
- barcarole - from the opera I due Foscari, music by Giuseppe Verdi, text by Francesco Maria Piave (1842)
- "At the Mastr'Andrea fair"- traditional song, elaboration by Gaetano Panariello
- “'In Vucchella"- Neapolitan song, music by Francesco Paolo Tosti, text by Gabriele D'Annunzio, elaboration for choir and piano by Giuseppe Polese (1907)
- "Marechiare"- Neapolitan song by Francesco Paolo Tosti, text by Salvatore Di Giacomo, elaboration for choir and piano by Giuseppe Polese (1886)
- Entr'acte et Barcarolle - from the opera Les contes d'Hoffmann, music by Jacques Offenbach, text by Jules Barbier (1881)
- "The Procidana”- traditional song of the island of Procida, arrangement for choir and piano by Vincenzo Caruso
- "Michelemma”- traditional Neapolitan song, arrangement for choir and piano by Vincenzo Caruso
- "Song of the washerwomen of Vomero”- traditional Neapolitan song, arrangement for choir and piano by Vincenzo Caruso
- Spring Tarantella - music by Riccardo Fiorentino, text by Daniele Ventre for the choir of the Teatro di San Carlo (2020)
- The "Quartettino" Gondoliers - music by Gioachino Rossini
- “'O land of or sun"- music by Vincenzo D'Annibale, text by Libero Bovio (1925)
- "Makes Surriento"- music by Ernesto De Curtis, text by Gianbattista De Curtis, arrangement for choir and piano by Vincenzo Caruso (1894)
- The "ditty" dance - music by Gioachino Rossini, text by carlo Pepoli, elaboration for choir and piano. by Giuseppe Polese (1835)
- "Mandulinata in Napule"- music by Ernesto Tagliaferri, text by Ernesto Murolo, arrangement for choir by Claudio Riffero (1921)
- “'O surdato 'nnammurato"- music by Enrico Cannio, text by Aniello Califano, arrangement for choir by Claudio Riffero (1915)
- "I 'te vurria vasà"- music by Eduardo Di Capua, text by Vincenzo Russo, transcription for choir by Claudio Luongo (1900)
- Neapolitan Tarantella - from the comic opera Piedigrotta. Music by Luigi Ricci, text by Marco D'Arienzo, arrangement for choir and piano by Vincenzo Caruso (1852)
- “'O sole mio"- music by Eduardo Di Capua and Alfredo Mazzucchi, text by Giovanni Capurro, arrangement for choir and piano Vincenzo Caruso (1898)
- "Funiculi Funicula"- music by Luigi Denza, text by Giuseppe Turco, arrangement for choir by Claudio Riffero (1890)
How to book
Participation at concerts it is Free, there will be available 200 seats with reservations required to be carried out on Procida 2022 official website. Standing places will be without reservation.
Information on the Opera (a) mare
June 3 and 25, 2022
- Marina Chiaiolella on 3 June
- Marina Corricella on 25 June 2022
20 hours: 30
Reservations: Procida 2022 official website