The Vergilian Park of Piedigrotta
Not to be confused with the Virgilian Park of Posillipo, Vergilian Park in Piedigrotta, which became a public park in the 1930, is located in the Piedigrotta area, near the church of Piedigrotta.
The small park is located behind the church of S. Maria di Piedigrotta, next to the Mergellina railway station and the slopes of the Posillipo hill.
The Park preserves:
- il cenotaph of Virgil, Roman columbarium considered the poet's tomb
- la Tomb of Giacomo Leopardi, a high altar placed inside a tuff cave
- la Crypta Neapolitana (also called Grotta di Pozzuoli or Posillipo), a Roman gallery located between Mergellina and Fuorigrotta
- a piperno aedicule with two gravestones, dating back to 1668, on which the diseases curable by the thermal waters present in the Phlegrean area are recorded
Information on the Parco Vergiliano
- Monday, Wednesday-Sunday 8.30-14.10 (from 18 June 2018)
- Weekly closing: Tuesday
- Ticket office hours: 8.30-13.40 (from 18 June 2018)
Ascent of the Cave, 20 - 80121 Naples
How to reach us
Subway 2 line, Mergellina station (about 1 minute walk)
Tel: 081.669390 - 081 2294409
Parco VergilianoInformation on the Parco Vergiliano in Naples: opening hours, ticket prices, how to get there, contacts (telephone and website).