The thirteenth-century Basilica Sanctuary of Santa Maria del Carmine Maggiore, one of the largest churches in the city, is a splendid example of Neapolitan Baroque.
The current façade dates back to 1766 because the innumerable damages suffered by the basilica, both for natural calamities and for fire conflicts, required multiple restoration works over the centuries.
The bell tower in Ionic, Doric and Corinthian style is characterized by a cusp covered with painted majolica.
On the left side you can admire the war Memorial of the district during the First World War.
The 15 July of each year takes place thefire of the bell tower as part of the Carmine Festival.
Inside you can admire:
- the atrium under which the 1799 executives were buried in the square in front of which Eleonora Pimentel Fonseca and Domenico Cirillo
- the 12 chapels
- the organs
- the vault with frescoes by Solimena
- the apse made by Fanzago
- the splendid sacristy
- the icon of the Brunette
- the miraculous crucifix
- the scapular
- the chapel of the Madonna
- the ex voto room
- the reception center
- the penitentiary
- the eighteenth-century crib
- the cloister
- the convent
Information on the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine Maggiore
Morning: 6.30 hours
Afternoon: 16.30 hours
Weekdays: 12.30 hours
Wednesday, Sunday and holidays: after the last celebration
Holy Masses Time
Ferial: 7.00 - 8.30 - 10.00 - 11.00
Wednesday: 7.00 - 8.30 - 10.00 (solemn mass) - 12.00
Sundays and Holidays: 7.00 - 8.30 - 10.00 - 11.30 - 13.00
Mass Vespertina every day: 19.00 hours
Confessions: In the Penitentiary from 7.00 to 12.00 and from 17.30 to 19.00
- Tel:. 081.201196 - 081.200605 - 081.201942
- Email: [email protected]
- Official site of the Basilica of Santa Maria del Carmine Maggiore
How to get:
- Address: Piazza del Carmine 2 - 80142 Naples
- Tram 1 or 4, Bus E2,151, 154 or 10: Via Marina - Carmine stop (towards Piazza Municipio) or Marina - Torre Aragonese stop (towards Piazza Garibaldi) | from Piazza Garibaldi about XNUMX minutes on foot
Church of Santa Maria del Carmine Maggiore in NaplesThe thirteenth-century Basilica Sanctuary of Santa Maria del Carmine Maggiore, one of the largest churches in the city, is a splendid example of the Neapolitan Baroque.